The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Always from Life (II)

When I started using oil paints some twenty years ago I had grown tired of leaning over a drawing board working from photographs and low relief objects. I wanted to expand my horizons - to paint from life in real time. This is how I worked for the next two decades.

Then a few years back, frustrated by a lack of progress with my figurative work, I tried a couple of photo derived paintings.

Amy, oil on linen, 17" X 19",  2009

I'll call this a "hybrid". The mug, hand and cigarette pack were painted from life and the rest using a photo. It doesn't look half bad in this format. The problem for me was that working from a photograph I wasn't painting the person at all. I was painting a photograph of a person. I can't really verbalize the disconnect I feel toward these photo derived works. I can only say there was just no joy in approaching a painting this way.

This brief detour served to verify and strengthen my decision to work exclusively from life.

No comments:

Post a Comment