The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Missing Parts

In quite a few of my figurative drawings the models are missing body parts. Not the models but the drawings. The reason for this is almost always lack of time. I vividly remember doing the seated nude below. There were just 15 minutes left in the session and I hadn't finished drawing the models braid. It was to be a main element in the drawing. She was going to cut her hair the next day. I hadn't resolved her face but there wash't time to do both. The result is a mouthless figure.

Seated Nude, oil pastel, 15 1/2" X 10 1/2", 2012

One could reasonably ask why not finish at a later time. I do work multiple session drawings but when time runs out it's over. The moment is past. Trying to recreate a setup is nearly impossible and often, as in this case, the model isn't available. Even if you could the mood is lost. The spirit in a drawing exists in its moment of execution. Past attempts to finish or rework live session drawings haven't gone well.

I began the drawing below working on the torso and knee. As the session neared the end I started drawing her mouth hoping to finish her face. Time ran out so I have what appears to be a model with blindfold.
   
Female Nude Study, oil pastel, 8 1/2" X 8 1/2", 2014

 Let's end with a cyclops nude!

Female Nude Study, oil pastel, 7" X 6 1/2", 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment