The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog starts in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to just add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from the live model.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Painting with a Purpose

With the exception of a few "recovery" years I have been pursuing my art since college. It has always been something I just did. I think I have purposely avoided over analyzing or intellectualizing the process. Some things like art or humor or sex are best just experienced. I have always thought my strongest work comes from the heart and not the head. I was being willfully ignorant.

Nude Study, oil on canvas, 11" X 13", 2007

Working from the live figure forced me to rethink this approach. Out of a desire to get better I began breaking down the process. Analyzing ones approach and making preparations for a new project doesn't have to interfere or diminish the actual process of drawing or painting. It can in fact be very liberating.

A level of spontaneity is built into any live model session. You can't possibly account for all the fluid variables. But before you start a quick sketch or a months long oil you need to have a goal and a plan to get you there. You may toss the plan out with your first brush stroke or pencil line but at least it gives you a starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment