The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Self-Centered Lot

Most artists I have known over the years tend to be self-centered, many too a fault. I am as guilty as anyone. Being ego-centric about one's art is undoubtedly necessary to produce anything worthwhile. But an unwillingness to seek out and appreciate the artistic endeavors of others can be detrimental. If you don't objectively look at work outside your own sphere you can't possibly get better.

Reclining Nude, oil pastel, 6" X 9", 2012

Some artists don't even feign interest in other artists work. Most express only a fleeting curiosity before re-focusing on their own narrow world. We should keep in mind that there is intrinsic value in everyones work. Sometimes it's just the enthusiasm they bring to the act of creation but that may be the most important value of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment