The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Monday, April 25, 2016

Is It Art?

I remember working from an older male model in a figure drawing class during college. He took a pose where one foot was raised on a chair or box. My vantage point was from behind. His rear end and genitals were prominently displayed. During a break a classmate looked at my unfinished drawing and said that he didn't think it was "art". Being a young fresh student I wasn't of a mind to declare when something was or was not art so his comment always stuck with me.

Reclining Male Nude, oil pastel on toned paper, 8 1/2" X 12", 2016

At a recent figure session I was presented with the above view. The pose had good movement and complexity so I set to work in the thirty minutes available. Is it art? You tell me. Forty odd years later I'm still not inclined to make that judgment.


No comments:

Post a Comment