The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Monday, June 6, 2016

Price vs Worth

I bought this little basket at a thrift store. I purchased it because I was taken by its design and how well it was crafted. I also bought it because an injustice was being perpetrated on its creator. The price tag reads 25 cents. I don't know who made it or when or where it was made. I do know it has a beautiful classic design and the weaving is excellent - tight and symmetrical. It must have taken hours of labor by a skilled craftsperson to complete.

Woven Basket, artist and date unknown

It is a cliche that our culture too often puts high value on things of minimal worth and little or no value on things that are worthy or even priceless. My hope is that the person who made this basket earned more than the equivalent of a quarter. I also hope they derived satisfaction and fulfillment in creating such a delightful object. When it comes to art there is too often little correlation between price and worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment