The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

A Paradox

Excellent models offer artists an opportunity to do superior work. They also present a paradox. When confronted with a top notch model in an outstanding pose one can be gripped with a deep sense of inadequacy. I have always felt this when trying to paint a flower in full bloom. In both cases my first thought is that there is no way I can possibly do justice to the subject before me.

In these situations it is best to just start putting down brush strokes and hope that a small amount of the model's aura will make its way to the canvas.


Lise, oil on canvas, 14" X 12", 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment