The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Bodysurfing

I grew up in Southern California. As a teenager I spent a good part of my summers at the beach sunbathing, looking at girls and bodysurfing. (It's hard to imagine I ever led such a life). When bodysurfing a good deal of your time is spent treading water, waiting for the next wave. This is a pretty good metaphor for where my drawing and painting are right now. I'm treading water. I'm moving but not really going anywhere.

It would be easy to view this situation in a negative way but I'm actually in a very positive place. As I have mentioned my new studio needs work - lots of work. Problems I expected to resolve in weeks are going to take months. This is a labor of love but it is labor. As a result I'm spending the bulk of my time and energy on studio repairs. My drawing and painting have taken a back seat.

Male Nude, oil pastel, 8 1/2" X 12 1/2", 2014

In the past during times like these my inclination was to forge ahead toward some ill defined goal. I see now that I was often just flailing in the surf, exhausting myself trying to catch every little swell. Treading water is exactly what I need to be doing right now. Staying in place for awhile and assessing the scene around me. I'm waiting for the next well formed wave. It's coming - I just hope I'm ready to catch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment