The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Making a Living


At this stage of my art career focusing on the figure is an indulgence. I have sold nudes over the years but on the hierarchy of "salable" images they are near the bottom. Let me offer a partial explanation as to how I'm able to pursue my current passion.

In the winter of 1979-80 I found myself newly single and living in an unheated garage/utility room of a row house in Washington DC. "Living" off my art sales wasn't working out so well. My urge to paint was gone. I had more important things to deal with like eating. It became necessary to take a full time job to climb out of the hole I had naively slid into. I made a vow to never get in that situation again. I would keep an income source independent of my art.

On my feet again after a couple of years my desire to paint came back. I would draw and paint evenings and weekends. Then after a couple of more years I switched to a part time job and began painting three or four days a week. This is the schedule I kept for more than twenty years. Early in this period I produced a series of trompe l'oeil still lifes.
                                         
Still Life, acrylic/oil on panel, 11 1/2" X 9 1/4", 1990 

Although difficult I have never regretted the trade-offs this arrangement made necessary. I have to feel a personal connection with my subject for things to work. Not being dependent on art sales has allowed me the freedom to choose my own projects and time-frames.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I could paint all day long even if I had the time or the financial resources to do so. Taking a break to do other things, even another job, is not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian,
      Yes, I have been painting full time for almost seven years and find having other interests and distractions to be a good thing.

      Delete