The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Monday, May 12, 2014

Healing

I have long been aware of the healing power of art. I often refer to my drawing and painting as therapy. Therapy for what I'm sometimes not sure but intuitively I know it helps keep me grounded.  When doing art you go into a zone - a place in your brain that responds to exercise just like your muscles. Getting to that place is often difficult but the residual effect is usually a sense of well-being.

Our weekly drawing group recently suffered a tragedy. A members spouse died unexpectedly. We can only imagine the grief she and her family are going through but all the Monday night model draw regulars feel the loss. The hurt and sense of helplessness can seem unbearable. I've been feeling numb and disoriented. You try to keep busy but the pain keeps coming back.

Searching for some relief I turned my attention to the self portrait I have been working on for some time. I mixed my pallet and set to work. Hours later with fading light and aching legs I came back to reality. I was aware of having been completely focused the entire session and remember crying during a break. I don't know if the painting was any good but the therapy was.

Sun Flowers, oil on linen, 16" X 14", 2007

Of course there is no simple or quick resolution to loss. Only the passage of time and human interaction can bring any lasting healing. In the meantime art can be a good place to find some solace.


No comments:

Post a Comment