The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Anniversary

I've decided to dedicate my one year blogging anniversary to the figure model. In particular those who have posed for me. Ten years ago when I started focusing on the figure I knew I wanted to work from life. The prospect of hiring models was both exciting and daunting. What I didn't and couldn't anticipate was how important a good working relationship would be in this equation.

Reclining Nude, oil pastel on toned paper, 9" X 11", 2012

Working with a model is a collaborative effort. Sometimes a models contribution is simply their own unique posing style. With longer term projects it can be more complex. Something about a lifestyle or personality often becomes an integral part of a work. A good figurative drawing or painting doesn't just reflect an artist's vision it must also capture some inner essence of the model.

Nude Study, oil pastel on toned paper, 9" X 12", 2013

This might also be a good time for some apologies to all who have modeled for me. For the twenty minute poses that turned into forty five minute poses. For the "just one more minute" that turned into ten. For putting up with my frustrations and ramblings. And now we can add enduring no air conditioning in a second floor studio over a Chinese restaurant - in August. (Oh and just a heads up there is no heat either). Why on earth would anyone put up with all this?  I'm grateful you have, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment