The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Getting Away

A little over two weeks ago I went on a nine day vacation with my family. I spent the time kayaking, swimming, sunning and reading - lots of reading. No internet. No cell phone. I had no intention of doing any drawing or painting and didn't.

Upon my return I was refreshed and seemingly ready "to get back to it". Except that I wasn't. Instead of being greeted by my two paintings in progress, I was confronted with a backlog of long neglected projects. Canvases needed to be stretched and primed, business cards needed updating. Decisions needed to be made regarding a future exhibition. I even made some small corrections to a couple of "finished" drawings that had been nagging me. It has taken a full week to feel caught up.

Nude Study, oil pastel, 10" X 7", 2014

Before going on vacation I was so focused on my painting and studio issues that basic tasks had been ignored. I was oblivious to a growing list of obligations. More than likely these chores would have eventually become unmanageable.  It's important to periodically get away - to fully disengage. I returned with a fresh, clearer perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment