The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Reentry

I have spent the last four months painting in near isolation. With the exception of a couple of artists braving the stairs and heat, my studio has been a solo inhabited tropical island.

In January of 2015 I began hosting Fredericksburg figure drawing. The meetings had been suspended for the summer due to the heat. As fall approached I sent out notice that the sessions would resume. I was looking forward to welcoming the group back to my studio.

Nude Study, oil pastel, 9" X 11", 2015

Last Monday twelve artists plus a model landed on my outpost. Reentry was a shock. From my vantage point the session went well but I wasn't prepared for the chaos and unpredictability of civilization. That night I couldn't sleep with my mind still racing from stimulus overload. If the past is any indication I will adjust and ultimately draw inspiration and warmth from the group.


No comments:

Post a Comment