The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Staying Power

How have certain visual art forms managed to survive and even thrive in our modern era? Since the invention of the earliest photo processes painting has faced extinction. Smart phones have upped the ante with their gushing stream of digital images. Why would anyone need or even want a hand painted picture when a more accurate one can be had with the touch of a finger?

Oil sketch on canvas, 9" X 11", 2006

Painting survives, at least in part, because the medium possesses and can project a unique power. The sensations emitting form an art work can remain tactile and alive indefinitely. When I stand in front of certain art objects, even ones centuries old, I can still feel the creators energy. All that is needed to extract that energy is an open and receptive viewer.


No comments:

Post a Comment