The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Lemonade Stand

My wife and I recently came as close as we get to having an argument. Being unable to satisfactorily articulate my position I lost the discourse. It seems the ten year old grandson of an acquaintance has been producing art work, glass candle holders and such and selling them at fairs and on line. He has a professional business card and an enthusiastic sales rep in Grandma. My wife sees this as a good thing. After all at a very early age he is learning a craft and the business side of art.

Mad Magazine character, fountain pen
3" X 2 1/2", 1960's

Mad Magazine character, fountain pen
3" X 2 1/2", 1960's

With a new fountain pen, around the age of our young glass artist, I copied the above drawings from Mad MagazineIt would never have occurred to me to try to sell them. I suppose where art is concerned I am naive and idealistic but it is doubtful my work would be where it is today if I wasn't.

In the context of a children's lemonade stand this ten year olds endeavor is a fun and uplifting story. I don't for a moment begrudge his efforts or any potential successes. But I can't help thinking that by commercializing a child's artwork, equating art and money so early, something profound may be damaged or even lost - that sense of joy and satisfaction in the simple act of creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment