The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Thursday, December 24, 2015

"Only connect …"

E. M. Forster's novel Howards End begins with the simple epigraph "Only connect …". I have always interpreted this as Forster referring to human interactions. Central to our lives are relationships and how we connect with those around us.

Multiple times in these posts I have stressed how important making a working connection with a subject is to realizing a meaningful drawing or painting. In recent months I have unconsciously stumbled upon an insight into this evasive union. Achieving it requires one to surrender - totally - to the moment and task at hand. If contact is to be made it will happen in that context on it's own accord.

Reclining Nude, oil pastel, 9" X 8 1/2". 2013

As surely as I type these words this revelation will prove to be a chimera. But a least for now, temporarily, a path to that elusive connection seems clear to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment