The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Abstraction

It has always been my contention that good abstraction has its roots in realism and that at the heart of realism lies abstraction.

Depicting objects, people and places in some recognizable way has always been my goal. It is the way I interpret subjects and approach drawing and painting. At the same time I admire abstraction and have always anticipated moving in that direction. This shift won't happen by accident. At some point I will have to make a deliberate attempt to "see" abstractly.

Nude, oil on linen, 5" X 6 1/2", 2007-8

The above image is a cropped version of a larger painting. The original included an entire figure crossed legged in front of a curtained window. The end result wasn't successful and the canvas eventually found its way into the discard pile. On the verge of throwing it away I wondered if maybe a section could stand as a whole.

This is as close as I have come to seeing the abstract qualities in the human form. They only became apparent after the fact. Perhaps it can suggest a path away from pure realism but in all likelihood I am wired to see the world that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment