The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Labels (part one)

Hobby artist. For someone who has devoted their life to drawing and painting it would be hard to find a more derogatory term. But that is what I officially am now. I quit being a "professional" artist three years ago when I could no longer muster the will to keep detailed business records. It wasn't that the task was particularly daunting I just resented the time it took away from my work. So I stopped checking the sole proprietor box on my income tax form and started checking "hobby artist".

Two Models, oil pastel, 14" X 10", 2012


I'm not breaking any tax laws with this change. In fact the new designation is a good fit for my current circumstances. My main takeaway from this exercise is that how you define yourself is more important than any official label. I will elaborate in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment