The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Labels (part two)

I didn't drop the title "professional" artist without some deliberation and sole searching. I had few concerns regarding what others would think but was unclear how I would react. Now, after nearly three years, the consequences of this change are clear - there isn't any real downside. It turns out I have been drawing and painting for so long that no label will change how, what, or why I paint. Ultimately how you define yourself is what matters.

Standing Nude, oil on linen, 18" X  9",   2006

One morning a few weeks back I woke up not really in the mood to paint. I'm a hobby artist after all and don't need to go to work if I don't want to. Problem is I was nearing the end of a long term painting that is season sensitive and the summer light was waning fast. So I hit the street and ended up having a very productive plein air session. Walking home that afternoon I never felt more professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment