The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog starts in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to just add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from the live model.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Labels (part two)

I didn't drop the title "professional" artist without some deliberation and sole searching. I had few concerns regarding what others would think but was unclear how I would react. Now, after nearly three years, the consequences of this change are clear - there isn't any real downside. It turns out I have been drawing and painting for so long that no label will change how, what, or why I paint. Ultimately how you define yourself is what matters.

Standing Nude, oil on linen, 18" X  9",   2006

One morning a few weeks back I woke up not really in the mood to paint. I'm a hobby artist after all and don't need to go to work if I don't want to. Problem is I was nearing the end of a long term painting that is season sensitive and the summer light was waning fast. So I hit the street and ended up having a very productive plein air session. Walking home that afternoon I never felt more professional.


No comments:

Post a Comment