The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Complexity

In any complex endeavor learning something new opens more doors than it closes. Each time I feel I've learned something working from the figure, more questions arise than are answered. About two years ago, frustrated by a lack of progress with my figurative painting, I decided to return to drawing. My intent was to simplify the process and hopefully re-establish a positive learning curve. I ended up drawing almost exclusively for thirteen months. Taking this step "back" has proven to be very helpful.

For me the most basic elements to be considered when working on a drawing are: Composition, line and value. "Simple like that" as an old colleague used to say.

Reclining Nude, oil pastel, 8 1/2" X 13", 2012

When you add color things get very complicated very quickly. Now you start dealing with hue, color "temperature", saturation, texture and and and. These variables can so complicate things it's easy to lose sight of the basics. Composition, line and value are the armature on which to build a painting. If these are weak, the whole painting will collapse.

Nude Study, oil on canvas, 8" X 10",  2013

No comments:

Post a Comment