The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Sweet Reality

Carving out blocks of time to do my art has always been a struggle. Life has a habit of intruding. The world was not designed for Bruce Day to draw pictures. If what one does doesn't conform to societies rules regarding lifestyle and money making you are in for a battle. I know this struggle is part of the deal but I'm becoming aware that it may actually be essential to creating anything worthwhile.

Drapery Study with Seated Nude, oil on linen, 20" X 16", 2006-2012

Left to my own devices I will draw or paint every day. This always leads to burnout. I've been there many times.  By never stopping you interfere with some natural cycle. Enter sweet reality.  A sons band competition, a daughters field hockey game, a sudden illness, something will distract. I used to feel frustrated and often angry at these distractions. Is it possible that the spirit in a successful work is there not in spite of the hardships but because of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment