The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Pose Kill

No one wants to hear an old painter wine about things that annoy him. So here goes... I work frequently in group settings. They are an overwhelmingly positive environment. But in my experience there is no bigger pose kill than democratic selection. Given the opportunity the group will collectively almost always choose an uninteresting pose. Many times I've watched a veteran model take a dynamic pose only to be thwarted by multiple requests. The leg, the arm, the tilt of the head. Gradually the models personal vision succumbs to group think and becomes rigid and lifeless.

A little stiff - lots of group input

New models often need guidance. Not so good models definitely need help posing. But good engaged models need the freedom to find the right pose. If it works for them the odds are good it will work for the artists.

Model inspired pose, Nude Study, oil on canvas, 9" X 12", 2010

I could extrapolate this phenomena into many collective human endeavors but that would be opening a whole new can of worms. Working from the figure is wormy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment