The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Energy In the Room

I have discussed how much I enjoy working in group figure model settings. The weekly sessions I attend had been on break for the holidays. Two weeks ago we started up again in a new space - a large open room that usually hosts yoga classes. The new year and venue have brought out large crowds of motivated artists.

The start-up routine is familiar. Lots of commotion, people greeting each other, moving chairs, setting up easels, sharpening pencils. Enter the model, off comes the robe and everyone goes to work. You can feel it - there is an energy in the room. One can't help but absorb some of that energy when working with a group of motivated souls. Here are two thirty minute efforts from the first two "yoga room" sessions.

Nude Study, oil pastel, 9 1/2" X 8 1/2"

Reclining Nude Study, oil pastel, 7" X 10 1/2", 

It fascinates me how we are all in the same room seemingly doing the same thing. But in reality everyone is working in their own private world, focused on the task before them with motivations and methods as varied as the personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment