The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Karma

Do places actually possess spirits or energies? I'm inclined to think they do. Sometimes there is an undeniable chemistry between a person and a place. I have been in my current studio for twelve years. It is located off an alley and consists of three small rooms. A large skylight in the main room leaks but for me the space has always had a romantic energy - a good karma. Since my first day painting there I have enjoyed every minute. My work wouldn't have progressed to where it is without this studio.

Studio Door, oil on linen, 13 1/2" X 16 1/2",  2010

This self-portrait is the first painting I did after moving into the space in the winter of 2001. I put a mirror on the floor so I could capture the cracked skylight. Over the years to keep things fresh I have used every inch and angle of the rooms many times.

Self-Portrait (Studio Interior), oil on linen, 17" X 14", 2001

The problem is after so many years it is becoming increasingly difficult to draw inspiration from the environment. What once felt freeing and inspiring has become constricting and predictable. My sense is I've "used up" the space. So now I have the nagging feeling that it may be me and not be the space that's used up.

No comments:

Post a Comment