The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Closure

I've gradually become aware over the last couple of years that the paintings I want to do - need to do - can't happen in my current studio. It's affordable and artfully funky but the rooms are just too small. I've had my eye out for a new space. There have been a couple of possibilities but nothing has materialized. To break my inertia I have been considering increasingly radical plans to start movement toward the door.

In the midst of these unsettled feelings I decided to do a "closure" painting. I would do an interior oil that would hopefully capture some essence of the place and let me move on. With a difficult perspective in the tight space I thought it wise to do a preliminary drawing - something I almost never do. I set to work about six weeks ago. The drawing process was so enjoyable I decided to forgo the painting and let the drawing be the finished product. I had no way of knowing this would be my last work in my alley studio.

Studio Interior (Model on Break), oil pastel, 12" X 15", 2014

Within a couple of weeks of starting this project another studio space suddenly became available. The new space is a bit of a wreck but it is just what I have been searching for. Coincidence? Would the new space have presented itself had I not begun this drawing? There is no way to know the answer. I'm not particularly superstitious but the timing of these events has me thinking.

1 comment: