The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Hindsight

It is very difficult to be objective about ones own art. This is especially true with just completed works. Viewing your work through the lens of time can clarify flaws not apparent initially. Sometimes overnight I can make a clear objective critique. Other times I need months or even years to see a work without bias. This time aided insight is one of my primary learning tools. If I can objectively see what's wrong in an older work I must be making progress.


Seated Figure, colored pencil, 10 1/2" X 9", 2006

The reverse can also happen. I often go through old drawings looking to toss images that no longer serve a purpose. On rare occasions, as with the image above, I find one that might make my current "so close" category. This seated nude was from eight years ago. Always the critic I think the front hand needs to be larger as it comes toward the viewer. But I can see I was working in the moment and the lines were sure and confident. Even though flawed this drawing possesses a certain power.

No comments:

Post a Comment