The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Monday, February 17, 2014

Timeless

Stating the obvious I'm a realist painter. I would describe my work as traditional and I suppose much of it could be viewed as academic. My current painting method and style, however, haven't evolved from traditional academic study. Since leaving school in the mid 1970's my primary learning method has been trial and error (lots of error). Partly because of this I've always felt my work is of its time. I date my paintings and drawings with just the year. The century I assume would be obvious.

 Nude Study, oil on canvas, 11" X 9", 2013

I can't put my finger on why but there is something about this nude that gives it a timeless quality. I've never felt this before in a painting. If I signed it 1913 or even 1813 I'm not sure even someone well versed in art history would readily dispute the date.

No comments:

Post a Comment