The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Inner Voices

For the better part of the last four years the human form has been the only subject that stirred my artistic passions. Only now as I take a step back from the figure can I see this period of time with any clarity. I was motivated, even obsessed, with the notion of becoming a competent figurative painter. Any rationale behind this quest came from a purely emotional place.

Male Nude, oil pastel, 9" X 8", 2012

The decision to "go figurative" was purposeful but I can't honestly say I had any choice in the matter. Throughout the years I have always followed that inner voice directing me to the next challenge. I can't say this voice has led Bruce Day the painter to any noble path or destination. In fact I have gone down some awfully dark dead ends putting too much faith in intuition. Some honest contemplation and skepticism are warranted when you start hearing voices.


No comments:

Post a Comment