The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Keeping Your Cool

A recent figure painting session did not go well. I was aware of being in trouble right from the start. The group selected pose was stiff and my angle and lighting were bad. I always paint with a brush in one hand and a rag in the other. Having only one canvas my rag hand was busy rubbing out the first three or four failed attempts. I simply wasn't connecting.

Oil studies on canvas, 12" X 16", 2015

Viewing my work with fresh eyes after the lunch break I capitulated and abandoned the mornings efforts. Turning the surface horizontally I proceeded to tackle a profile study.

Typically in situations like this my art related insecurities would have induced at least a mild panic attack. But this time was different. I remained calm and focused throughout the ordeal. I was content to use the remaining time to experiment and honestly wasn't concerned with the end result.


No comments:

Post a Comment