The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Competition

There should be a competition of sorts playing out in my small town arts community but I am at a loss as to the rules of engagement. The arena I've chosen to compete in is different than most - my primary focus is on drawing and painting . I have great admiration for anyone who puts paint to canvas and over the years have been mindful of not criticizing their efforts. But apparently for most local artists wrangling over sales and status is the main event, actual painting comes in at best a distant third.

Reclining Nude, oil on canvas, 14" X 17", 2011

I find myself standing, brush in hand, in a nearly empty coliseum. There is a great deal of noise and commotion coming from a packed arena right next door. The visual arts should offer a clear and graphic scoreboard tracking ones relative progress. It is through an exchange of ideas and techniques that we get better but too little of that is in play. I have no desire to defeat any fellow painters but I wouldn't mind sharpening my game with an occasional combatant.


No comments:

Post a Comment