The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Virtual Reality

Someone recently showed me on their smart phone a number of private Facebook figurative sites. I am not on Facebook so the existence of this universe was a revelation. It is possible, in fact quite likely, that this virtual world eclipses my reality based one many times over and has for some time. Who knew? Probably everyone but me.

Thirty minute figure study, oil pastel, 11" X 9", 2015

The main problem I have with these sharing sites is that they don't discriminate. My brief encounter showed that most anything and everything gets posted. One even included a failed painting attempt of mine. I'm guessing the model took and posted the picture without my knowledge. Unless there is some educational purpose for doing so, posting flawed art just lowers the discourse.

So now the question arises: To what extent does, (would, could) the real world of figurative drawing and painting exist without the virtual one?


No comments:

Post a Comment