The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Friday, August 16, 2013

Best I Could Do Under the Circumstances

Being self critical is essential to improving in any endeavor. If you can't cast a critical eye on your own work you won't improve. Flaws in concept and technique will take root and become hard to recognize let alone correct. You can of course take this too far and only see your flaws. This can become destructive so a balanced examination of your work is best. Recognize your flaws and try to correct them but don't forget to realize your strengths and build on them.

Good gracious, just four posts in and I'm already spouting trite clichés.

In recent years I've divided my work into three main categories: Success, miss and failure. The success and failure categories are fairly set. The miss category has subsets: So close, miss and not a absolute failure.

Failed Nude, oil on linen, 2013
                                 
Let's just call this a miss. Mostly due to the dull uninspired pose (my choice not the models) and boring third rate composition. What was I thinking!


No comments:

Post a Comment