The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Monday, August 19, 2013

In the Moment

I'm in the process of doing a fairly detailed cataloguing of my work. The earliest figure drawing I have dates back to my first or second figure class in college. It is of a seated male nude lit from below. It's not the best drawing. I was in the early stages of my studio exposure. What still resonates for me is how in the moment I was doing the drawing. It has taken me nearly 40 years to internalize this lesson. A successful work of art requires being in the moment and connecting with the subject. When you achieve this state you are not guaranteed success but without it you are guaranteed failure.

Male Nude Study, colored pencil  1974

No comments:

Post a Comment