The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Past vs Present

Three posts ago I used a 39 year old drawing to make a point about being in the moment when working on a drawing or painting. Looking at that drawing made this comparison too obvious to pass up.  A male figure study from 2011 paired with the male figure study from 1974.  A thirty seven year gap.
   
Male nude, 2011 

Male Nude, 1974

I wouldn't say the 2011 drawing is "better".  It has sharper, more confident line work and the pose is more dynamic. But the older drawing has an atmosphere and sense of calm that make up for any technical shortcomings. Overall I would say the drawings are comparable.  Not sure what this says about my progress or lack of progress drawing the figure over the last 39 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment