The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Turned On

In order to do a meaningful drawing or painting I have to be excited or turned on by the scene in front of me. There has to be a core or essence that excites me. In my experience a successful work has to capture that essence to fully resonate.

Since turning my attention to the figure almost two years ago, I've done only a handful of non figurative works. This set up turns me on. The simple composition. The pickle/pepper greens contrasting with the deep red background. The strong shadows and translucent glass.  I like this subject so much I've done three versions.

Pickles and Peppers III, Oil on canvas, 18" X 22", 2013

Talk about being excited. At a group session last year I set up around the side of the model and was immediately awe struck. I really was. I had forgotten my pencil sharpener or something and had to go across the room to fetch it. I was excited like a kid called in for dinner wanting to get back outside to play ball. The torso twist. The mussel and bone structures. The lighting. I was hooked.

 Nude Study, oil pastel, 2012

Working from a live female nude can be complicated for a heterosexual male. I'll tackle that topic in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment