The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Model's Eye View

Late in 2012 I became aware of a Sunday night session in Richmond, VA that used three models at once. I had worked from two models several times without much success, so the idea of three bordered on the absurd. Wanting to break out of my comfort zone I decided to make the trip.  The sessions were held in an old firehouse with a theater stage at one end. I had attended two previous times and drew with everyone else from the floor looking up at the models on stage. This time, however, with the encouragement of the model coordinator I positioned myself on stage behind the models.

Figure Session, oil pastel on toned paper, 11 3/4 X 15 1/2, 2012

Talk about being out of my comfort zone!  I was invading their space. But the models couldn't have been more welcoming.  Probably out of fear I was very focused right away wanting to catch as much as I could in a short three hours. At some point I started including the artists. Unlike the models they were in a constant state of flux. People changing locations and shifting positions.

Overall the evening was very stimulating, rewarding and comfort zone expanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment