The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Monday, December 30, 2013

Doubt

For me the mood of this blog has been generally upbeat. Even the discussions of failure have had an optimistic tone. I'm not faking it. I have been in a good state of mind regarding my art and life since starting this blog. I probably would't have started it had I not been.
                           
Enter doubt. Being critical of ones work is different from doubt. Striving to see your own work objectively and making adjustments is a positive thing. Doubt lives at a deeper and potentially more destructive level. It may simply be Winter setting in - less daylight making it harder to see bright spots in my work. But the feelings are real. Doubt starts you questioning the whole enterprise. Your abilities, your motivations, even your basic premise all become suspect.

Seated Male Nude, oil pastel, 10" X 9", 2013

Note: I don't feel nearly as bad as the model appears to feel in this drawing.

I think some self doubt is helpful. I have known artists who just plunge ahead with little or no reflection or doubt. I can't say it's good for their work.  The challenge is to not let it bog you down or take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment