The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

First Love

I've always thought of drawing as my first love. As far back as I can remember drawing has been a refuge. It might have something to do with its tactile and intimate nature. Your brain isn't engaged so much as your heart.

During the warm months of 2010 and 2011 I painted outside doing a series of cityscape oils. The process was very public and the subjects complex with ever shifting shadows. By the fall of 2011 I found myself craving solitude and simplicity. I withdrew to the studio and spent six weeks working on three silverpoint drapery studies. How often in life do we get to return to our first love?

Drapery Study, silverpoint on prepared paper, 11" X 9",  2011

Doing these drapery studies was a pure joy. Fabric has long been a favorite subject of mine. Looking at art history I'm not alone. Combining a nude with drapery seems logical.

Nude with Drapery, oil pastel, 11" X 8",  2011

No comments:

Post a Comment