The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

It Never Gets Easy

Awhile back at the start of a group session someone asked if drawing the figure ever gets easy. My immediate response was no and if it does you're not trying. Then, of course, I had an engaged and smooth drawing session. "Easy" wouldn't describe it but my lines were confident and the drawing flowed. Sessions like this are rare. Usually there is a struggle involved.

Reclining Nude, oil pastel, 9" X 13", 2012

I like to think I'm always trying to raise the bar. When my work becomes too familiar, or I feel in a rut, I try to mix it up. I'll try a new method or material - something to stay fresh and engaged. My approach is fairly scientific. I try to introduce just one new variable at a time. Progress can sometimes feel slow but even small changes can lead to large complexities. I want to explore these in some depth before moving on.

For me easy means routine. I like routine in the morning making coffee. Routine in my art means boring. Drawing and painting have never been easy for me. When that day comes I'll hang it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment