The next step

I have worked from the live nude periodically since the early 1970's. This blog started August 9th, 2012 in my second year of working almost exclusively from the figure.

In the fall of 2015 I reintroduced still lifes and an occasional cityscape into my painting repertoire. Rather than abandon this figure blog or start a new one I decided to add them to the conservation.

All drawings and paintings posted on this blog were done entirely from live models or on location.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Private Sessions

The stereotypical artist/model dynamic is of the virile artist seducing his willing but naive female models. Reading art history one would think all the great painters had affairs with their models. I'm sure many did (and still do) but my guess is the myth exceeds the reality. I can't imagine how, even for a moment, women put up with the misplaced male sexual ego. In a working studio environment the idea of "hitting" on a model is ridiculous.

In the spirit of full disclosure I have had one lengthy affair with a model. This dalliance resulted in two pregnancies. (OK - it's my wife. Sounded good though didn't it?). I always refer to this as the first drawing of our daughter.

Nine Months, pencil, 11" X 7", 1991

have worked from quite a few models over the years. In my private sessions I work with just a handful. My studio is small. The environment and nature of the work are intimate. I would describe a healthy artist/model relationship as one built on trust and respect. For me when a model is in pose they are in charge. If the model isn't comfortable I couldn't possibly do any meaningful work.

I hold the profession of figure model in very high regard. Offering oneself so others can pursue fulfillment is nobel. It's a rare drawing or painting that does justice to any model. They suffer countless bad likenesses on paper and canvas - many by my hand. To me there is dignity in a simple nude - a directness and innocence that's rare in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment